This is a great way to “wow” your family and friends! It tastes even MORE delish than it looks! The contrasting sweetness from the carmelization versus the tart of the orange zest, just bring all your taste-buds alive!
1/2 cup chilled butter, cut into small pieces
1 cup all-purpose unbleached flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
the zest of one medium orange
1 egg yolk
2-4 tbsp iced water
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup fresh apple cider
the juice of 1/2 an orange
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup butter, cut into 16 slices
6 baking apples peeled, cored and thinly sliced
1. To make the crust, combine the butter, flour, sugar, salt and orange zest in a food processor. Pulse until pea-sized. Add egg yolk and pulse a couple times. Add chilled water one tablespoon at a time, pulsing a few times between. Once the dough comes together in a ball, stop pulsing and do not add anymore water.
2. Dump dough onto a floured work area. Knead the dough just enough to make a smooth ball, 2-4 times. Roll dough out to 11-12 inches in diameter. Gently place dough onto a cookie sheet lined with plastic wrap. Cover with additional plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
3. In a 10-inch non-stick ovenproof pan over medium heat, combine the filling ingredients, sugar, apple cider, orange juice, and vanilla extract. Increase heat to high and bring mixture to boil, occasionally scraping down the sides of the pan. Once the mixture turns light brown, after 6-7 minutes of gentle stirring, it will take just another minute or two until it turns deep amber in color.
4. Remove from heat. Stir in butter 2-3 slices at a time. Be cautious, as it will bubble and try to splatter. Once all the butter is incorporated, fan the apple slices in a neat layered circle (like fanning a deck of cards), leaving a few for the center.
6. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
7. Over medium heat, cook the apple mixture for 20 minutes, being careful not to disturb the apples. Remove from heat.
8. Remove the chilled dough from the refrigerator. Remove plastic wrap and, draping over rolling pin, gently drape dough over apple mixture. Tuck edges of pastry into the pan, creating a crust.
9. Place in preheated oven, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
10. Remove from heat and cool for 10-15 minutes. Place a plate face-down over the pan and gently, but quickly flip both over. Slice and serve!
* Mix a small container of mascarpone cheese and 1/4 cup confectioners sugar together. Garnish individual slices with a heaping teaspoon. Enjoy!